The EYELEVEL process of creating a stunning visual image for the Freedom on the Tyne event, the main event of Freedom City 2017
Image Brief - provided by Everything Different and Newcastle Gateshead Initiative.
Our exciting brief was to create an iconic image of the Freedom on the Tyne event which marked the 50 year anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr receiving an honorary degree from Newcastle University. His ‘I have a dream’ speech is known around the world but few people are aware of the powerful speech he gave in Newcastle in 1967. Dr. King was invited to give an impromptu acceptance speech and held the audience spellbound as he spoke of his struggle for racial justice:
'There are three urgent and indeed great problems that we face not only in the United States of America but all over the world today. That is the problem of racism, the problem of poverty and the problem of war.'
Our dusk image provides a visual image to publicise and celebrate the key aims of the Tyne Bridge finale event, which were - excitement, inspiration and comradeship, alongside a protest element of fighting for civil rights.
We feel our image successfully captures the lovely quote from the briefing document:
‘Something very special should glow from this.’
EYELEVEL Creative Thoughts and Image Production Process:
- Sketch storyboard prepared by EYELEVEL following ideas meeting with client
- An evening view of iconic Tyne Bridge
- Compose bridge within right hand side third of image
- Adjust high resolution professional background photograph to create required image atmosphere
- Brightest part of image is centre of bridge to illuminate main character, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
- Cool blue evening sky and bridge, warm orange crowd and activities
- Add specially sourced elements – people, crowds, performance, music, dance, flags and banners
- Leading lines - Gap in crowd lead viewers eyes towards main event stage under bridge
- Start to create a sense of drama
Compositing Final Image
- Add civil rights banners and vertical flags on left hand side to balance composition
- Seamlessly combine and blend all elements with shadow, highlight and colour correction
The cookies on this website help users navigate the website efficiently, perform certain functions and collect statistics for website analytics. These cookies do not store any personal information that would allow us to identify individual users without their permission. Accept